In the Event of an Emergency Closure
Emergency closures can happen any time throughout the academic year with little or no advanced warning. In the event of an emergency school closure, the safety and well being of all community members is a priority. It is recognized that emergency closure only happens during crisis and that format, responses and staff/student availability will depend on the reason for closure.
The school will endeavor to provide the most up to date in formation for all families in relation to the emergency situation/closure. In the event of a closure, the school will provide opportunities for home learning to minimize the impact the closure may have on student’s learning.
* * * * *
For ZOOM sessions that are lesson-focused, please review the following with your children. Many do very well during these sessions, but an occasional reminder may help others who still aren’t sure about the behaviour expectations.
In addition to the guidelines shown in the image below (click to enlarge), here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
– Students should be seated, either on a chair at a table/desk, or on the floor (preferably with their back to a wall)
– Whatever device the student is using, it should be positioned in such a way that their hands are free. If necessary, prop up tablets or mobile phones at eye level so that the student’s face is clearly visible.
– Please keep backgrounds simple for instructional ZOOM lessons. Green-screen type VR backgrounds are more suitable for social ZOOMs (example House Meet-Up ZOOMs and upcoming Spirit Activity Day ZOOMs).
– Students should be aware of how to Mute & Unmute their microphones (and know when it is appropriate to do so) as well as Leave a meeting when it’s over. Your child may need your support on how to to do these until they can do it independently.
– Please ensure that students eat either before their ZOOM meeting, or wait until it is over.
Thank you for your support.
* * * * *