This week in G1
It was a short week in class with the two holidays.
In Maths we created our own numberlines and shared the rule or criteria for the sequence.
In inquiry we have moved in to our final unit – Sharing the planet- and our focus is on communities. Students started to think about the communities they were part of.
For literacy we practiced writing strong introductions about someone we know well – our mothers.
Here is a glance at how we are using our spaces and resources presently. 2 classes were in and one class were at the pool. Flexible groupings are visible and we can see how each space in the classroom is utilised.
Last week Mr. Ashley helped students create terrariums in the classroom. Here is the timelapse video showing the process:
There are some new authors in the school library!
We can’t wait to read the books!
Next week in G1
Student Led Conferences
Next week we will be getting ready for Student Led Conferences. Information about sign up for time slots will be going out sometime next week. Student Led Conferences will be taking place Monday 16th May 2022. Below are a few things to expect.
- Parents will make an hour appointment on the set schedule and bring in their child for that time only
- Parents with more than one child will sign up for consecutive hours.
- Only 2 adults per child (so 8 parents and 4 children in a 1-hour rotation
- Hourly sessions will be 8:00-9:00, 9:15-10-15, 10:30-11:30, 11:45-12:45 and 1:00-2:00 (There is 15 minutes between rotations to wipe tables and reset)
- Students only come in for their appointed hour and then leave – its a no-school day for them (There will be 4 students each session.)
- There will be 4 centres in your child’s classroom for parents and students to rotate.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be outside the external classroom door for parents and students
- Masks must be worn at all times
- ATKs tests are expected for staff, parents, and students the day before
- Cautious parents can choose not to come
We are reviewing number alongside data management, measurement and pattern and function in preparation for the conferences and to make important connections to our learning throughout the year.
Our inquiry will continue our exploration of ‘Communities’. We will be tuning into what questions the students have and what communities they are interested in. We will also be exploring roles and responsibilities and how these support a community to function.
In literacy we are brainstorming, drafting, editing and publishing opinion and persuasive writing pieces and learning to use our voice to communicate.
Dates to remember
Monday 16th May Classes closed for Student Led Conferences Sign up to visit with your child.