Good afternoon G3 Parents and Families,
It has been yet another eventful week in G3 this week. Monday G3A & G3C had their individual photos taken. G3B have been working remotely and will return next Tuesday 3rd of May.
It’s getting really hot, we suggest that student have a cap to help shield them from the sun. A few students have already started to wear them which is good to see.
Ms Alex the PYP Counsellor visited both G3A and G3C classes to talk to them about Body Safety and being the boss of their own bodies and keeping them safe.
Clothes and Toys Drive
The G6 students are organizing a clothes and toys drive for their service campaign/ Earth Day initiative. This will go to Second Chance Bangkok (https://www.scbkk.org/) to benefit the Khlong Toei community. Please bring your used but usable clothes and toys to donate. You can drop them off in the boxes in front of the library staircase in the secondary (D) building. The collection period is the first two weeks of May.
We started the week by recapping what we already knew about our new genre of writing Persuasive writing. Students had to think and plan how they could persuade their friends that their favourite game is the best game ever. In their planning they had to think of reasons both for and against to support their points of view.
First using the initial template to get their ideas and reasons.
Next they had to provide evidence and facts to support their views.
Finally using the OREO template to help structure a first draft.
Aims of U.O.I this week.
- Understand that every resource comes from natural resources
- Resources can be separated into natural and man -made resources
- Research, describe and explain the journey of a resource from source to your resource.
This week students were reintroduced to calculating the area and perimeter of regular and irregular shapes.
Students worked through a series of slides to develop their knowledge and understanding of area.
Students were given different levels of challenge to take their learning further by completing the following:
- Area partner game
- The ‘Cool or Hot’ drawing area challenges.
- Revisiting the drawings they did of dream bedroom. For each shape/piece of furniture, write the P = (perimeter) and A = (area) for each one.
- IXL DD 6 onwards (16 onwards is the challenge)
- Solving Real World Area and Perimeter Problems
Students continued to work through the units using Wonder Reads in their class reading groups. There will be a combination of reading and writing activities for the students to do. Students will use a range of reading platforms (ORT, library books, Raz, Epic & Newslea) to read for pleasure at an instructional level. Students are encouraged to apply and use reading strategies when reading both independently and with an adult. Students should be reading three Raz books a week.
Student Led Conferences will be taking place Monday 16th May 2022. Further information and sign up schedule will be given nearer the time. Below are a few things to expect.
- Parents will make an hour appointment on the set schedule and bring in their child for that time only
- Parents with more than one child will sign up for consecutive hours.
- Only 2 adults per child (so 8 parents and 4 children in a 1-hour rotation
- Hourly sessions will be 8:00-9:00, 9:15-10-15, 10:30-11:30, 11:45-12:45 and 1:00-2:00 (There is 15 minutes between rotations to wipe tables and reset)
- Students only come in for their appointed hour and then leave – its a no-school day for them (There will be 4 students each session.)
- There will be 4 centres in your child’s classroom for parents and students to rotate.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be outside the external classroom door for parents and students
- Masks must be worn at all times
- ATKs tests are expected for staff, parents, and students the day before
- Overanxious parents can choose not to come
Please find the planner for Term 2 Week 25th – 3rd – 6th May at this link.
Students will continue learning about Persuasive Writing. The main focus will be completing their first draft and looking how they can improve their work by using different language devices such as:
- Rhetorical questions
- Emotive language
Students will continue to work through the units using Wonder Reads in their class reading groups.
Next week will be very practical based, using a range of items such as different size containers, magnetic cubes to estimate, order and compare different volumes.
- Swimming, All non swimmers are expected to provide a medical note. They can be sent via email or hard copies handed to class teachers.
Link to PE blog – https://sites.google.com/edu.kis.ac.th/kispyppeswimming/pe-lgs
Students will arrive at school with their swimming costume under the uniform unless they have swimming after lunch (don’t forget to pack underwear in the bags).
ECA’S will continue every Wednesday for G3 Students. Please make sure your child knows on which day and what activity they will be doing.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach Ms. Wowchuk (firstname.lastname@example.org) Ms. May (email@example.com).
School closed next Monday and Wednesday
Monday, May 2nd is Labour Day Substitution, May 1
Wednesday, May 4th is Coronation Day
- Monday, May 16th Student Led Conferences
Thank you for your ongoing support and as always, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact your homeroom teacher.
Ms. Jen – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Marc – email@example.com
Ms. Ronyii – firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the long weekend!